To help keep you and your family safe, here are some basic water safety tips from the Boise Fire Department.
Basic Water Safety Tips
- NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN UNATTENDED IN OR NEAR WATER. Children are drawn to water.
- DO NOT SWIM IN CANALS.
- Learn to swim. Seek out your local partners in the community that offer swimming lessons.
- Use the buddy system; never swim alone.
- Swim when a lifeguard is present.
- Follow all posted rules. If no rules are posted, use common sense.
- A personal flotation device (PFD) is recommended for inexperienced swimmers when around the water.
- Swimmers with limited water experience should stay in water less than chest deep.
- Know the water you are in and all possible dangers associated.
- Do not swim if there are indications of bad weather.
- Do not dive head first unless the area is clearly posted for diving.
- Do not swim or boat while under the influence of alcohol.
Send a Message to Fire Prevention
If this is an emergency, please call 911.