Office of Police Accountability
The Office of Police Accountability (OPA) was formally established by the Boise City Council on July 13, 2021. City of Boise leadership’s interest is in providing residents with proactive, empowered, independent, transparent, community-driven, and a more comprehensive civilian policy oversight with the purpose of independent external civilian oversight of police conduct separate from the internal oversight conducted by BPD.
The Office of Police Accountability strives to be a leader in civilian police oversight by providing thorough and impartial review of police conduct. The mission of the Office of Police Accountability is to advance fair and professional law enforcement that is responsive to community needs.
- Increase public trust and confidence in law enforcement through fair, thorough, and transparent investigations of allegations of misconduct
- Provide independent investigation of all critical incidents
- Encourage greater community participation in oversight of law enforcement
- Improve community relations by acting as a bridge between the community and law enforcement
- Advance the public’s understanding of law enforcement policies, procedures, and operations
- Provide a place for citizens to voice concerns outside of the law enforcement agency
- Ensure that complaints are resolved in a way that maximizes the public interest
The Director of the Office of Police Accountability is responsible for reviewing investigations and retaining independent investigators for critical incidents when needed. The Office of Police Accountability has clear oversight of the chief and command staff of the Boise Police Department and works with them to help create robust reporting practices and encourage real-time oversight to promote long-term systematic changes in policing. Civilian oversight of law enforcement is a critical facet of any effort to strengthen the relationship between police and the community and to build public trust, all while promoting effective policing.
Send a Message to Office of Police Accountability
Thank you for your interest in the Office of Police Accountability. Please use the form below to contact a member of our office. To submit a case to the Office of Police Accountability, please complete this form.