Boise City Hall 1907
In gratitude to the city of Boise and to all who gave their time, talent and treasure to renew this park for its second century-Diane Davis Mykelgard 2017
The original Boise City Hall graced the southeast corner of Eighth and Idaho streets for 60 years, from 1893 to 1953. Architect James C. Paulsen designed the stately structure in a Rhenish Romanesque style that incorporated red brick and local sandstone.
The building stood five stories tall and cost $41,696.30 to construct. It featured electrical lighting and geothermal heat. Among its many striking details were arched doorways, polished oak-staircases, tiled floors and multiple fireplaces. The oak-paneled council chambers became a signature attraction. This room’s opposing walls featured painted images of the Boise City Seal and an owl perched atop a stack of books. Large wooden beams with carved gargoyles on their ends supported the arched ceiling of the chambers.
Wrecking crews demolished City Hall in 1953. The dignified building was replaced by a one-story structure where a drugstore operated for many years.
Paulsen designed six other cherished buildings in Boise between 1891 and 1893, including the R.Z. Johnson Apartments near Sixth and Idaho streets, the Natatorium and the Columbia Theater.
Read more about the City of Boise