Saint Alphonsus Hospital Est. 1894
Honoring those who have cared for our community
The first hospital in Boise was established when Sisters of the Holy Cross, a congregation within the Roman Catholic Church, answered the call of Bishop Alphonsus Glorieux to bring healthcare to the local community, particularly to the poor and underserved. Saint Alphonsus Hospital opened in 1894 with five sisters, two doctors and nine employees. Its mission was to create a "true haven of rest and comfort for all those upon whom the heavy hand of sickness has been laid." Seventy-eight years later, in order to serve a growing population, Saint Alphonsus moved from its downtown location to its current site on Curtis Road.
The sisters' legacy of selfless care for the community lives on at Saint Alphonsus. Inspired by the heritage, vision and dedication of the founding religious orders, Saint Alphonsus embraces the living spirit of the sisters and reflects a commitment to serve together in the spirit of the Gospel as a compassionate and transforming healing presence.
Read More about Saint Alphonsus Hospital.