Summers Funeral Homes 1911
Founded by Clyde Summers 1911
Donated by Dave and Robyn Yraguen
On Feb. 1, 1911, Clyde E. Summers and P.L. Fry started a funeral business, Fry & Summers. When Fry sold his interest to Harry Krebs in 1913, it became Summers & Krebs, and in January 1927, when Krebs sold his interest to Summers, it became Summers Funeral Home.
Summers remodeled the mortuary as a memorial to his parents, naming two of the new rooms after his parents, Adeline and William. During the Great Depression, Summers provided guest rooms in the mortuary for families coming from a distance, so they would not have to pay for a hotel while funeral arrangements were being made. This also allowed families to be near their loved ones.
Over the years, the business retained its founder’s name and grew as its employees came to be owners. In 1956, A. Dale and Shirley McMurtrey bought it. They lived in the home, handled 200 funeral calls a year and operated an ambulance service. In 1980, they remodeled a Nazarene Church in Eagle to become the Summers Funeral Homes Eagle Chapel.
Later owners were David B. Yraguen and James B. Maguire. In 1991, they built a full-service funeral home in Mountain Home; it was sold to its manager in 2005.
After a major renovation in the fall of 1995, the original building at 1205 W. Bannock St., Boise, became the 16,000-square-foot Boise Chapel. In 2001, Summers Funeral Homes Ustick Chapel and crematorium were completed in Meridian.
With the demolition of Gibson Funeral Home in 2017, Summers is the last remaining funeral home in downtown Boise.
Read more about Summers Funeral Homes.