Idaho Power Company emerged in 1916 from the ruins of five small electric power companies scattered across southern Idaho and eastern Oregon. At a time when electricity was a very new product, these companies had competed wildly against one another, underpriced their product, over-reached their capital investment, and wound up bankrupt and in receiverships.
Principles of sound management, appropriate utilities regulation and talented crews and managers soon steered the new company on its way toward a century of profitable electrical service supplied at relatively low prices. The company aimed to be ready for demand so it would never have to refuse service. When electric water pumps became an essential part of irrigated agriculture in this arid region, the company powered them. The region’s population grew. Commercial, industrial, municipal and household customers all enjoyed electricity – a comfort of modern life that we now tend to take for granted.
Company headquarters have always been in Boise. It is an Idaho company, employs about 2,000 people, and serves half a million customers across 24,000 square miles. The company operates hydroelectric, coal-fueled and gas-fueled plants, and buys solar power.
With the 20th century's collective awakening of our society's obligation to practice conservation and better steward natural resources such as fish, raptors and watersheds, the company has developed environmental expertise within its own staff. It invites the public to enjoy the parks and campgrounds it owns and manages along the Snake River.
Idaho Power Company sponsored two historical lamp posts in the Plaza area.
Read more about the Idaho Power Company.