What is the Moving, Deconstruction or Demolition of Buildings code?

This Chapter of City Code provides minimum standards and requirements for contractors, developers and owners when moving, deconstructing, or demolishing buildings and structures.

This code includes provisions such as required permits, bonds, insurance, notifications, any barriers needed, debris removal, and recycle or reuse provisions.

The City has implemented a Deconstruction and Demolition Material and Waste Management Plan to provide contractors with a guide to identify materials diverted from the landfill as waste to be recycled or reused.

Boise skyline with construction

What is the Recycle/Reuse Process for Deconstruction or Demolition Permits?

  1. Obtain approval through Planning and Zoning first, where applicable, through a Zoning Certification application.
  2. Send email notice with photos of available materials to Reuse Stores/Companies on the City Reuse Stores/Companies & Recycling Companies (Boise Area) list, and copy the City at
  3. Allow up to seven (7) business days for response of interest in any materials from Reuse Stores/Companies. If interest, coordinate schedule and timeframe for salvage and pick-up of materials.
  4. Submit appropriate building permit application including a Deconstruction and Demolition Material and Waste Management Plan – Estimation Proposal.
  5. Building Inspector visits site for determination of amount of bond to be posted and to evaluate if any and amount of woody yard debris to be recycled.
  6. Building permit review completed, bond posted and permit, along with other associated permits, issued.
  7. Work to salvage recycle/reuse materials occurs. All appliances, solid metals accepted at local metal recyclers and woody yard debris 10 cubic yards or greater are required to be recycled at an area Recycling Company.
  8. Any other desired recycle/reuse materials can be further salvaged by the contractor or are coordinated with Reuse Stores/Companies. (Note: Early surface level type work to salvage materials for recycle or reuse may be acceptable prior to permit issuance.)
  9. The remainder of the project work is completed.
  10. After project completion, submit a Deconstruction and Demolition Material and Waste Management Plan – Actual Diversion Report, including copies of recycling, reuse and landfill receipts, weight tickets, hauler receipts or other diversion documentation.
  11. The City Building Division reviews and approves the documentation provided, adding into the permit record and returns the bond.
  12. The building official, or designee, may require independent third-party audit and/or verification where deemed necessary.
wood pallets

What are the Benefits of Recycling and Reuse?

  • Aligns with City of Boise initiatives on sustainability.
  • Diverts and reduces amount of materials in landfill as waste.
  • Conserves resources through recycling of materials.
  • Generates reusable materials as marketable products from salvage.
  • A material and waste management plan documents materials that are being deposited in landfills as waste and materials diverted for recycle or reuse. Over time, this documentation can help determine materials or markets that are viable and working, areas that are not so viable, or even emerging markets that are developing.
  • Tax deduction for donations of reuse materials to certain organizations.

Note: Any hazardous materials (i.e. asbestos, lead paint, mercury, refrigerants) that may exist on projects are to be abated in accordance with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements, where applicable, or other state or local requirements.

Message Sent Successfully!

Message Failed To Send.

Send a Message to Building

Thank you your interest in the Building division. Please fill out the form below and a representative will be in touch with you. If you are inquiring about a specific project, please include the record number or project address.