Certificate of Appropriateness

Home in one of Boise's historic districts.

Do you need a Residential Certificate of Appropriateness?

If you live in a historic district and are considering making changes to your home, you may need a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Are you...

Installing a fence other than wood?YesNo
Replacing siding?YesNo
Replacing windows, modifying their size, material or style?YesNo
Replacing vinyl windows with vinyl windows?YesNo
Constructing an accessory structure that is 120 square feet or larger?YesNo
Constructing an addition, porch or visible deck?YesNo
Creating an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) with or without exterior alterations?YesNo
Making an exterior alteration beyond painting or installing asphalt shingle roofing?YesNo

If the answer was yes...

If you’ve answered yes to any of the questions above, you may need to apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Certificate of Appropriateness

Vinyl Windows

Vinyl windows are not permitted within Boise’s Historic Districts. When replacing existing vinyl windows on a property, an approved material must be installed.

Learn More
Decision Matrix

Before making any changes, please review the Decision Matrix or contact Historic Preservation staff at (208) 608-7100.

Learn More
Residential Design Guidelines

The Design Guidelines for Residential Historic Districts help the city and homeowners determine the historic appropriateness of changes within residential historic districts.

Learn More

Message Sent Successfully!

Message Failed To Send.

Send a Message to Planning

Thank you for your interest in the Planning division. Please fill out the form below and a representative will be in touch with you.