Firefighters respond to a fire at a multi-family unit

August 2, 2021

The Boise Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 6900 block of Maxwell Lane at 3:46 a.m. on August 2, 2021. Firefighters arrived within 5 minutes to find a multi-family home with flames coming from the front side of the building. Residents of the two-story four-plex smelled smoke coming from their attached garage. They opened the door to the garage discovering flames and quickly closed the door and escaped the building before Boise Fire arrived.  Four engines, two ladder trucks, and two Battalion Chiefs responded to the fire. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguished the fire and prevent it from spreading to the attached apartments.

Firefighters were assisted by the fact that the unit had a self-closing door from the garage to the main living space. Building code requires multi-dwelling units with an attached garage to have self-closing doors in case of a fire like this one. “The closed door between the garage and the living space prevented these residents from facing more extensive damages to their home. Safety measures like this, as well as a quick response from the fire department, helped stop this fire from spreading throughout the structure,” said Battalion Chief Brian Ashton.

The fire was contained to one garage, the laundry room, and the second story of one apartment. Two other apartments received heavy smoke damage. Fire Inspectors report the cause of this fire to be accidental and there are no reported injuries.

The Boise Fire Local 149 Burnout Fund is assisting the three families who were displaced. For more on the Boise Fire Local 149 Burnout Fund please visit their website at:


Contact: Boise Fire/BPD Media Relations

(208) 570-6780 |

Message Sent Successfully!

Message Failed To Send.

Send a Message to Boise Fire/BPD Media Relations