Update: June 28, 2021
Boise Fire department has determined that the hazmat incident Friday on W. Northview was the result of two pool chemicals that were inadvertently mixed during a service delivery being completed by an outside vendor at a nearby maintenance shed. The reaction turned into a gas that caused several people in the area to feel sick. The 14 patients who were taken to the hospital were all treated and released.
Previously released: June 25, 2021
Boise Fire’s Hazmat team has completed their evaluation and containment of a hazmat incident on the 7000 block of W. Northview St. this afternoon.
Around 1 p.m. Boise Fire crews including 5 Engines, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 2 Division Chiefs, and the Hazmat Team along with Ada County Paramedics responded to a chemical spill at the Fairmont Pool. Boise Police Officers worked to control the scene and blocked traffic on Northview from Milwaukee to Cole. A Code Red alert was sent out through Ada County Dispatch to nearby residents asking them to shelter in place. The main concern for those in the immediate area was the potential for respiratory injury. In total 28 people were evaluated and several went through decontamination. Eleven people were treated at the scene and released and 14 patients were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The shelter in place has been lifted and W. Northview St. is back open. Fairmont Pool will remain closed until Monday. The investigation into what chemicals were used and what happened leading up to the accident remains ongoing.