Arrested: Joseph Blair, 43, Boise
Charges: Burglary (F) 3 counts, Resisting or obstructing (m)
Around 10:30 p.m. on 5/6/2020 Boise Police responded to reports of a vehicle prowler in the area of W. Persimmon Street. Officers responded to the area and soon found a subject matching the suspect’s description. When officers attempted to approach the subject, he took off running and jumped a fence into a nearby backyard. He continued to attempt to run from officers until he was ultimately stopped and taken into custody. He was found to be in possession of items stolen from three unlocked vehicles. The suspect, identified as Joseph Blair, was taken to the Ada County Jail and booked on the listed charges.
Boise Police are seeing more people out at night with the warmer weather and encourage everyone to make sure their garage doors are closed and vehicles are locked.
Vehicle Burglary Prevention tips
Most vehicle burglaries are crimes of opportunity. Taking extra precautions can greatly reduce the chance of becoming a victim.
To help avoid becoming the victim of a vehicle burglary, you are urged to:
- A locked vehicle is safer. Remember to close the widows or sunroof, even when parking at home.
- Remove valuables from plain view, even if the vehicle is locked.
- Unless going straight home, store all shopping bags and other purchases in the trunk.
- Don’t leave a trace of items that may be hidden “out of sight”. For example: the suction cup on the dashboard may indicate there is a GPS inside.
- Do not leave the garage opener in plain view.
- Carry registration and insurance cards with you or lock in the glove box.
- Remove all important items from your car.
- Don't leave car, house, or work keys in the vehicle.
- Park in busy, well-lighted areas with good visibility.
- If using a parking garage, park close to an exit or in a well-lit area.
- Be aware of suspicious individuals and report any activity.
- At home, always park in your garage, if available. Remember to close the garage door and lock the side entrance to the garage.
- If your garage is not available, park in the driveway. Leave on porch lights at night for better lighting.
- If only street parking is available, park in front of your house to ensure you have good visibility of the vehicle.