Contact: Boise Police Media Relations
Gym and Locker Room Safety
January 11, 2022
Gyms are a popular place to be this time of year as many people get to work on their New Years' resolutions. Unfortunately, thieves know that too and target places where people may leave their purse or wallet behind in their vehicle or locker. Just last month, Boise Police arrested a man suspected of breaking car windows and stealing items in a gym parking lot. Here are a few reminders to keep you and your personal items safe.
- Lock your car doors and keep valuable items out of sight, or better yet, remove them from the vehicle altogether.
- Consider only bringing what you need with you and leaving other personal items at home. Thieves target debit cards and other items that result in identity theft which is one of the most devastating scams you can fall victim to.
- Always use a good solid lock on any locker; even when stepping away for just a moment. Thieves have been known to take pictures of victim’s debit cards in their locker and steal the card information without the victim even knowing.
- Keep your car keys in a safe place with you or in a locked locker.
- Report suspicious activity to police by calling 911 for emergencies or 208-377-6790 for non-emergencies.
Gyms, trailheads, and daycares are all targets for this type of crime. Always lock your vehicle, keep valuables out of plain view or take valuables with you.