Why do we need a new Main Library?
Originally designed as a warehouse, the current Main Library building does not have sufficient space to offer contemporary library programs and services or meet the needs of a growing population:
- Insufficient space for reading, meetings, and quiet work
- No space for expanding the library collection or growing new technology initiatives
- Limited parking
What will the new Main Library include?
To keep pace with evolving library practice and to meet the needs of a growing population, the new Main Library will include:
- An expanded collection: The new Main Library will add 400,000 to 500,000 items, putting Boise on par with peer cities and providing more materials for the entire library system, including all branch libraries.
- Space-saving technology: Boise will be the first public library to utilize an Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) to expand the collection for generations to come while saving 30k square feet of space for valuable community programming. Please note: even with this new tool, the new Main Library will still have plenty of stacks for casual browsing and discovery.
- Maker spaces: There will be dedicated space for hands-on learning and creativity providing access to 3-D printers, laser printers, and other emerging technologies.
- Indoor-outdoor spaces: Facing the River and Greenbelt, the new Library will engage two of Boise’s most beloved assets with a combination of indoor and outdoor spaces for community gathering, quiet study and reading, as well as collaborative public meeting spaces.
- Three times more parking:Available parking will include 270 spaces at an off-site garage in close proximity and 30 on-site parking spaces for those who need it most.
How will the library handle service during construction?
The Boise Public Library plans to continue to service the public throughout the construction period and will post all changes of services to this site as well as the Boise Public Library website. Details of the construction plan are still in development.