On July 18th, 2023 at 12:30 pm Boise Fire crews responded to a structure fire on S. Cole Rd. Upon arrival, crews encountered heavy smoke and a large pile of recycled materials smoldering inside of a recycling center. As crews worked to extinguish the fire, a Boise Firefighter suffered a medical emergency, and was transported to a local hospital where lifesaving measures were initiated. The firefighter is out of surgery and recovering at a local hospital in stable condition.
“We are thankful for the quick actions of our Boise Firefighters, Ada County Paramedics and staff at the hospital for providing initial and ongoing lifesaving care to one of our own,” Boise Fire Chief Mark Niemeyer said. “Our thoughts and continued support are with the firefighter’s family, as well as every member of the Boise Fire Department.”
Support is being provided to the family, as well as the crews for both the Boise Fire Department and Ada County Paramedics through the department’s peer support team. “We are keenly aware of first responder mental health on a day-to-day basis, but when it’s one of your own that stress is elevated. I am proud of the men and women of the Boise Fire Department, along with our public safety partners, for making sure we look out for one another. That’s what family is about,” added Chief Niemeyer.
At this point, there are no additional needs. If that changes we will provide an update to the community.
Fire crews remained on scene for a few hours spreading out the materials and watering it down, so the pile would not reignite. There were no other reported injuries, or any damage to the structure. The cause of the fire was unused recycled fireworks.