The Boise Police Department was informed this month that the BPD officer who used deadly force against Jacob Bergquist on October 25, 2021, was justified in his actions. The Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney, Grant P. Loebs determined that the officer was “not only lawfully attempting to apprehend a violent felon and defend other Law Enforcement Officers, but was acting in self-defense and to stop an ongoing shooting spree which had taken the lives of two citizens and was a threat to the lives of others.” The Ada County Coroner determined that Bergquist died by suicide from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Boise Police Department on body video of the officer-involved shooting portion of the police response can be found here: https://youtu.be/ax2_NrcPIrY
Notes about the video:
- This presentation contains messages from Chief Winegar at the beginning and end of the video.
- There are videos from two officers on body cameras. They are identified as Officer 1 and Officer 2. Officer 2 fired his weapon.
- The provided videos stop before showing the injured suspect and the injured officer.
- The first 30 seconds of any on body video is video only, not audio. That 30 seconds is from before the officer turns on the body camera.
- The attached video is being made available by the Boise Police Department to provide video relevant to the investigation.
- Additional video and information is available to request through the Public Records Request process (PRR).