Short-Term Rental Licensing

Apply for a Short-Term Rental License

The health and safety of our community is a top priority – for everyone who lives, works, plays and visits the City of Trees. As such, the City of Boise requires licensing for all short-term rentals within city limits.

Short-term rental owners and operators can apply for a license online. City staff will work with owners and operators in the community to ensure there’s adequate time to license short-term rentals before enforcement begins.

Review Application Requirements

A duffle bag sitting next to a door and a chair.


What is a Short-Term Rental?

Short-term rentals are single-family houses, units in a condominium or timeshare, or owner-occupied residential homes that are offered for a fee for thirty days or less.

“Short-term rental” or “vacation rental” does not include a unit that is used for any retail, restaurant, banquet space, event center or another similar use.

Review City Code
Who Can Apply?

Either the property owner or the local representative may apply. If a local representative applies on an owner’s behalf, they still must provide the property owner’s information.

How Much Does it Cost?

A short-term rental license costs $80 annually with a $1.50 processing fee.

Why are Short-Term Rental Licenses Needed?

Licensing ensures basic safety precautions are met and protects both the public welfare and the character of Boise’s neighborhoods.

Licensing also helps city staff gather critical information on housing and short-term rentals.

Application Requirements

Operators of a short-term rental in the City of Boise must provide information as required on the application, including but not limited to:

1.  Applicant Contact Information

  • On-site representative contact information

2.  Property Information

  • Address
  • Type of Rental

3.  Rental Marketplaces Where the Property is Listed

  • List numbers for all marketplaces

4.  Parking Availability

  • On street/off street

5.  Safety Information

Include number of:

  • Smoke Detectors
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • Fire Extinguishers

6.  Proof of Liability Insurance

(to include dates of coverage, limits, deductible, etc.)

  • If your rental marketplace provides insurance, please complete and notarize the following affidavit. When complete, send it via email to
  • Certificate of insurance from insurance company
  • Proof of liability insurance must be uploaded to your application before a license may be issued

7.  Designate a Local Representative

  • All short-term rental licensees must designate and maintain a local representative to respond to all license issues in a timely manner.
  • The local representative must reside within 20 miles of city limits. Any short-term rental owners who reside outside the State of Idaho must maintain a local representative authorized to accept legal notices on the owner's behalf.

Questions? Contact the Boise City Clerk.

Apply Online

  • First time users of our permitting system will be required to set up an account.
  • After logging in, click "Apply > License" in the top menu.

Apply today

Renew Online

The City of Boise now allows you to renew existing licenses online. First time users will be required to set up an account.

Once you have your account set up, you will need to link your current license to your online account by contacting the City Clerk's Office. Please have your current license number available.

After logging in, select "My Records" from the Home menu. You will find your renewal in your "Licenses" list.


Message Sent Successfully!

Message Failed To Send.

Send a Message to City Clerk

Please fill out the form and a representative from the city will be in touch with you.