- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 21 years of age by the date of hire
- Have held a full-time, sworn, certified law enforcement officer position with an Idaho P.O.S.T. Basic Patrol Officer Certificate or greater/equivalent within the last five years
- Be in good standing with current/most recent department(s)
Applicants MUST NOT:
- Have used marijuana within the past one (1) year or while employed as a law enforcement officer
- Have used any other controlled substances within the past five (5) years or while employed as a law enforcement officer
- Have any felony convictions over the age of 18
- Have received any DUIs in the last two (2) years
- Have received two (2) DUIs in the last five (5) years or
- Have received more than five (5) traffic violations in the last three (3) years
Hiring Process for 2024 Lateral Academy
(Anticipating January and July Academies)
BPD reserves the right to make changes to the hiring process based on department needs.
After BPD reviews your application, qualified applicants will receive an invitation to schedule both the Physical Readiness Test and the Oral Board on the dates below.
May 6, 2023
May 30, 2023
June 24, 2023 - CANCELLED
August 19, 2023 - *NEW
Voluntary Oral Board Prep
BPD will periodically offer prep sessions for oral boards.
May 20, 2023
June 17, 2023
July 15, 2023
August 5, 2023
September 9, 2023
October 7, 2023
November 4, 2023
Physical Readiness Test (REQUIRED)
Applicants are required to select from one of three date options.
It will take 5 - 6 hours to complete the required testing.
Applicants traveling more than 2 hours to the testing site in Boise can request a PRT at the time of the written exam.
Within one week of the testing, those who pass will receive invitation to an oral board interview.
May 30 - 31, 2023
June 26 - 27, 2023
July 24 - 25, 2023
August 28 - 29, 2023 (last interview date for January 2024 academy)
September 25 - 26, 2023
October 30 - 31, 2023
November 27 - 28, 2023
Oral Board Interviews (REQUIRED)
Applicants traveling more than 2 hours to the testing site in Boise, ID may request to do a virtual Oral Board or to take the polygraph on the same day as their interview.
Applicants who pass their Oral Board will be notified within one week and placed on an eligibility list for background selection.
All Applicants participating in Oral Board after August 2023 will be considered for the July 2024 academy.
|Estimated 3 - 4 week timeline|
Background and Polygraph Testing (REQUIRED)
Applicants will be selected for backgrounds based on overall candidate ranking. Applicants will be notified by email and request to submit the following documentation within 7 business days.
|Estimated 2 week timeline||Final Onboarding Appointments (REQUIRED)|
|Upon Final Approval||Final Offers|
Factors We Consider When Hiring Lateral Officers
- Size and type of prior agencies
- Size/number of sworn officers - <49, 50 – 249, 250 – 500, 500-1000, 1000+
- Mission of the organization
- Specialty Positions, previous assignments, and special certifications
- Speak a second language fluently; language skills
- Level of education - Associates, Bachelor's, Master's degree, or Ph.D.
Wages and Benefits
Send a Message to Police
Thank you for contacting the Boise Police Department. Please fill out the form and someone from the department will be in touch with you.
If this is an emergency, please call 911.