Boise has been composting since June 2017, and the program has been an overwhelming success. Since the launch, we have collected over 70,000 tons of compostable material! Completed compost is available at our pick-up sites at the Idaho Botanical Garden and Joplin Rd. Residents can pick-up two cubic yards per year for free.
- Curbside compost collection is weekly and unlimited. Place any overflow compost in paper bags next to your cart
- No plastic please! Put your compost in paper bags or loose in the cart
- Double check your yard waste for dog toys, such as balls and frisbees
- Just because something says 'compostable' does not mean it can go in your compost cart. Compostable bags and trays are made to break down in a landfill and cannot be processed at our facility.
Watch the video below for a quick overview.
Compost Pick Up Sites
Material is delivered to both sites Monday through Friday as available. Compost is available on a first come, first serve basis.
You can pick up compost at:
Idaho Botanical Garden | 2355 N. Penitentiary Road. Boise, ID 83702
Hours of Operation: Monday - Sunday, normal business hours – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Joplin Road Compost Site | 12142 W Joplin Rd, Boise, ID 83714
Hours of Operation: Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Compost is delivered to a site as it becomes available.
Ongoing pick-up of finished compost is self-serve. Come prepared to load your own compost with shovels and sturdy containers (e.g. bags, boxes, buckets). Limit two cubic yards per customer per year. Compost is available for Boise participating compost customers only; no commercial use is permitted. For more information, please contact us.
Application for lawn improvement, mulch around trees and plants at your home for landscaping and as a soil amendment for vegetable gardens.
What Can You Compost
- Leaves, tree branches, stumps, and limbs (up to 4 ft in length and less than 60 pounds)
- Fruits and vegetables
- Yard and garden waste
- Coffee grounds, coffee filters, tea bags and egg shells
- Pine cones and needles
- Fats, oils and grease
- Pet waste
- Grains, bread and pasta
- Meat, fish, bones or any other animal by product
Keeping Your Cart Clean
Watch the video for a quick tutorial on how to keep your compost cart clean.
Other Cart Tips
A few simple steps will keep your new compost cart clean and reduce potential odors.
- Set out cart every week (even when it's not full). Regular collection will make sure material doesn't sit in your cart too long.
- Line your cart with newspaper or a piece of cardboard to keep material from sticking to the bottom of your cart.
- Store cart in cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Place kitchen scraps in layers between grass, leaves or other garden material.
- Use paper bags (not plastic, biodegradable, nor compostable) to keep kitchen scraps contained.
Residential customers can request larger cart sizes, if needed. Cart sizes are available in 48, 65 and 95 gallons.
- If your cart needs to be cleaned, rinse out your cart with a hose and dump rinse water out on your lawn (not in a storm drain).
- Compost collection is unlimited. Simply fill your cart first, then place any extra materials in paper leaf bags and set out next to your cart for collection.
- Finished compost is available free to participating residents.
- Only compost program participants receive year-round leaf collection.
- By participating in the compost program, customers receive the lowest rate.
- Compost cart is conveniently serviced the same day as your trash.
Community Compost Give Back
In addition to our permanent compost giveback locations at the Idaho Botanical Gardens and at Joplin Road, the City of Boise is pleased to offer community compost giveback. This seasonal program is a great opportunity to build community and pick up free compost close to home. The program is free to participate for all City of Boise neighborhoods and other organizations.
Applications are closed for the summer. Please check back in mid-September for fall giveback opportunities.
Questions? Contact us at 208-608-7136
© 2021 City of Boise. All rights reserved.
Message Sent Successfully!
Message Failed To Send.
Send a Message to Curb It
Please complete the form below and a member of our Curb It team will follow up with you.
Please note: If you have a question about your bill, please contact Utility Billing Services.